Statement from Michael P. Summers Regarding Recent Robberies that Resulted in Cars Being StolenMarch 06, 2018
Statement from Michael P. Summers, Mayor and Director of Public Safety
The recent spate of robberies that resulted in cars being stolen is very serious. While it is not uncommon for certain crimes to occur in waves, often by the same perpetrator, public safety is never taken for granted in Lakewood.
Addressing this recent trend will require a multifaceted approach. Strategies include:
- We will engage in multi-jurisdictional collaboration with the county prosecutor, sheriff, and other municipal police forces, especially Cleveland.
- We will perform more focused patrols in likely hotspots.
- We will work with private property owners where these crimes have occurred to improve electronic and human surveillance, improve lighting and remove any barriers that create blind spots and hiding places.
- It is important that we increase our vigilance as individuals, as well as improve our awareness of and for others. Please refer to additional common-sense information at the City’s website here: http://www.onelakewood.com/important-information-on-how-to-avoid-being-the-victim-of-a-car-jacking/
- Near-term improvements included expanding the existing 46 public surveillance cameras by adding 14 more cameras at the remaining Detroit Avenue intersections this year. We will increase coverage to every Madison Avenue intersection in 2019, and ultimately cover every exit from our city.
- Please call Lakewood Police if you see anything suspicious or out of the ordinary 216-521-6773
- Also, Please call Lakewood Police if you have any information regarding these or any incidents 216-521-6773
Most Popular Pages
- Snow Reminders
- Leaf Collection
- Cove Church Redevelopment
- Accountability & Sound Governance
- Live Well Lakewood
- Food Trucks
- Clean Water Lakewood
- Lake Avenue Construction
- Pavilion Rentals
- Lead Safety
- Downtown Development
- Healthcare in Lakewood
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Animals In Lakewood
- Public Art