Mediation Program Information
The Lakewood Law Department’s Mediation Program is a process to assist Lakewood citizens negotiate out-of-court settlements. The purpose of the program is to allow the City to channel complaints into a program that can resolve disputes in a timely, cost efficient, and highly satisfying manner. Parties to a mediation session meet with a mediator but without legal counsel, who will not be admitted to the mediation hearing.
Mediation permits parties to create their own settlement, they naturally are going to be more satisfied with the results than with an imposed arbitration or court judgment. Since mediations are voluntary no court reporters or recording devices will be allowed. Reaching an agreed upon solution is the goal of mediation, not proving innocence or guilt.
For further information, please call (216) 529-6040.
Benefits of Mediation are:
- Timeliness: Hearings are scheduled within two weeks after complaint is received.
- Convenience: Hearings are scheduled on weekday evenings or Saturday so that parties do not have to take time off from work.
- Parties determine solution, not a judge or prosecutor.
- Parties are not forgotten by the system: Mediator contacts parties to ensure agreement is fulfilled.
- Mediation is not concerned with proving innocence or guilt, only in finding a solution.
- No witnesses are needed.
- The majority of mediations are resolved even a year later.
- There’s no cost to the parties.
Most Popular Pages
- Coronavirus/COVID-19 Information
- COVID-19 Business Resources
- Tax Information
- Frequently Asked Questions
- New Hands Free Driving Law
- Cove Church Redevelopment
- Public Record Requests
- Minutes / Agendas
- Census 2020
- Food Trucks
- Clean Water Lakewood
- Pavilion Rentals
- Lead Safety
- Downtown Development
- Public Art
- Accountability & Sound Governance