Lakewood Residents Invited to Get First Look of Solstice Steps at Oct. 30 Opening CelebrationOctober 22, 2015
To mark the official opening of the Summer Solstice Steps at Lakewood Park, the city of Lakewood is hosting a special event to celebrate from 5 to 7 p.m. Oct. 30.
The Solstice Steps Celebration will feature food trucks and live music provided by bands from the Lakewood City Schools and St. Edward High School. Mayor Michael Summers will kick-off the event with remarks, with the ceremony concluding with a reading from Lakewood’s resident poet laureate Bill Knittel.
The event will feature some fun for children, too. Members of Lakewood City Council will be on hand to pass out candy. Costumes are encouraged, but not required, attire.
The $2 million project to reinvent Lakewood’s access to Lake Erie is nearly complete. The Solstice Steps feature an upper and lower promenade, extending from the existing park at the top of the slope, to the waterline with seating in between. The fenced-in grass slope was transformed into cascading stone stairs with grass landings to be planted between each step.
“We see this as a pivotal step in increasing access to green space, without changing the footprint of the park,” said Lakewood Mayor Michael Summers. “This enhancement to our community’s green space allows thousands to enjoy picturesque views of Lake Erie, our greatest natural resource.”
The new solstice stairs will provide areas for residents to lie out and have a picnic or simply sit and enjoy a beautiful sunset. They have been termed “Solstice Steps” because on the summer solstice, the sun will set directly upon the central node of the project. This marks the farthest north the sun sets each year.
Tentative schedule of events:
- 5 p.m. to 5:15 p.m. – St. Edward’s Marching Band, led by Angelo Kortyka, Director
- 5:20 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. – Lakewood High School Chamber Choir, led by Peter Hampton, Director
- 5:35 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. – LHS Chamber Orchestra, led by Beth Hankins, Director
- 6:10 p.m. to 6:20 p.m. – Lakewood Middle Schools, The Capellas, Lisa Richards, Director
- 6:20 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. – Sunset (6:24 p.m.)
The bands will perform at the bottom of the steps near the lake, facing the park, with food trucks Barrio and Sweet Spot parked along the western edge of the Solstice Steps.
The event is weather dependent; rain or high winds may cancel the event.
Most Popular Pages
- Coronavirus/COVID-19 Information
- COVID-19 Business Resources
- Tax Information
- Frequently Asked Questions
- New Hands Free Driving Law
- Cove Church Redevelopment
- Public Record Requests
- Minutes / Agendas
- Census 2020
- Food Trucks
- Clean Water Lakewood
- Pavilion Rentals
- Lead Safety
- Downtown Development
- Public Art
- Accountability & Sound Governance