Lakewood is an equal opportunity employer. If you are interested in applying for one of the current job openings below, fill out an application online or download this pdf, fill it out and return it by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail it to Human Resources, City of Lakewood, 12650 Detroit Avenue, Lakewood, OH, 44107. Please note: Do not open the pdf in your web browser, fill it out and then try to save it to your computer. Your answers will not be saved. Download the pdf to your computer and then fill it out.
The Office of Human Resources provides high quality professional services in the areas of human resources management, recruitment, labor relations, employee training and development, benefits administration, regulatory compliance, performance management, Workers Compensation risk management and licensure oversight and regulatory compliance. All efforts undertaken by the Office of Human Resources will ensure that employees and citizens are treated with respect and dignity.
Still have questions? Email the HR department at email@example.com or call 216-529-6611.
Current Job Openings
Lateral Entry Level Police Officer+-
LATERAL ENTRY LEVEL POLICE OFFICER POSITION AVAILABLE
The City of Lakewood is accepting applications for an entry level Police Officer position. This appointment is being made through a lateral entry process open to candidates who are currently Police Officers or who have been employed as Police Officers within the past year.
Qualified candidates must provide proof of current or past appointment through a competitive
Civil Service examination process.
To apply, candidates must:
- Complete an application for employment,
- Show proof of High School Diploma or GED,
- Have a valid Ohio Driver’s license with a good driving record (six or more violation points may be disqualifying),
- Provide proof of OPOTA Certification, and
- Provide a current Tri-C Certificate of Physical Agility dated within two months of your application date.
- Candidates needing to obtain a Tri-C Certificate of Physical Agility may contact Tri-C to register for a future testing date or use the following link: Tri-C Physical Agility Testing.
To be considered, applicants must:
- Possess adequate physical ability to perform all duties and utilize all issued equipment,
- Be United States Citizens or must have legally declared their intention of becoming a United States Citizen,
- Be at least twenty-one (21) years of age at time of appointment, and
- Have the requisite health and requisite mental and physical fitness, ability, and capacity necessary to perform all the established and anticipated tasks and duties.
- Extensive medical and mental testing including drug testing, as well as an extensive Police background check with polygraph will be conducted.
Salary: $61,912.36 current annual salary plus benefits.
Qualified candidates must apply on-line at the City of Lakewood website at www.onelakewood.com or applications may be printed and submitted via e-mail to:
Or via USPS mail to:
City of Lakewood
Department of Human Resources
12650 Detroit Avenue
Lakewood, OH 44107
The City of Lakewood is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Public Works Streets & Forestry Division Tree Crew+-
FULL TIME JOB POSTING
CITY OF LAKEWOOD – PUBLIC WORKS STREETS & FORESTRY DIVISION
The City of Lakewood is currently seeking two (2) full-time Tree Crew workers in its Streets and Forestry Division. This is a full time AFSCME Bargaining Unit position with an hourly rate of $26.49 – $27.01. Normal working hours are 7:30 A.M. – 4:00 P.M. (M-F).
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Must possess adequate body strength to be able to climb and work with power tools for extended periods in high trees and be able to lift heavy objects; must be able to stand for extended periods of time and be able to work from ladders and scaffolds; must possess good eyesight and perception with good eye-hand coordination; must possess good hearing and possess good communication skills; must have full use of both hands, arms and legs; must possess a good working knowledge of knots and ropes; care and maintenance of general tree equipment; must possess a good working knowledge of branch and tree removal; must possess the ability to work in high places with basic climber materials (rope and saddle); must possess a thorough knowledge of safe work practices for branch removal and pruning of the various species of trees; must possess the ability and willingness to learn the operation of motorized tree equipment; must possess a working knowledge of brush chipper operation. The Selected employee may be required to work shift assignments and overtime during the winter months for snow and ice control December through March.
- Full-time employee.
- Must possess a high school diploma or GED.
- Must possess a valid Class A Ohio Commercial Driver’s License with less than eight (8) points within ninety (90) days of appointment.
- Weight proportionate to body size per the Ohio State Highway Patrol Academy Standards plus 10%.
- May be required to participate in testing at the discretion of the City.
- Must satisfactorily complete a physical examination including drug test and police background investigation.
- May be required to work shifts during winter months and operate other Streets/Forestry equipment and vehicles.
- Must have the ability to be certified as an Arborist and maintain certification within two (2) years.
- Must be able to work safely near power lines as per OSHA standards.
- Must report for forestry storm work as needed.
Employee may be required to work overtime pursuant to the provisions of Article 5 and Article 15 of the current negotiated agreement.
ONLY QUALIFIED interested applicants should submit a resume AND an application either on-line (at www.onelakewood.com) or to the City of Lakewood, Office of Human Resources, 12650 Detroit Avenue, Lakewood, OH 44107.
Application deadline is Friday, May 7th at 4:00pm.
The City of Lakewood is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Posting date: 04/21/2021
Full-Time Building Inspector+-
CITY OF LAKEWOOD POSITION VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
FULL-TIME BUILDING INSPECTOR I
HOUSING & BUILDING
The City of Lakewood is currently accepting applications for a full-time Building Inspector I. Building inspector candidates will have a basic knowledge of the Ohio Building Codes, federal, state, and local laws and ordinances, and experience in the construction or renovation of commercial and residential structures and construction techniques. Must be able to read and interpret building construction plans and conduct inspections of new and existing structures ensuring building code compliance. Will have the ability to review permit applications against plan approvals, and issue construction permits. Must document and maintain all inspection records and issue Certificates of Completion and/or Certificates of Occupancy upon completion of work. Must be able to communicate with owners, contractors, and design professionals regarding the conditions of approval, manufacturer’s installation and listing requirements, and standards of construction. Must investigate complaints and respond to requests related to building and property maintenance; identify code violations and ensure compliance with local zoning regulations and property maintenance ordinances, and issue related violation letters. Will conduct Code Compliance Inspections of rental and retail properties and conduct fire damage inspections. Must have the ability to interact with the public within the community to provide information and have knowledge of the legal processes associated with violation notices and court hearings. Must be able to prepare clear and concise reports and correspondence utilizing information technology with Microsoft Office, mobile applications, and proprietary software. Will be able to work independently organizing work, setting priorities, meeting critical deadlines. Must be able to problem solve and communicate orally and in writing with staff and the general public and have basic math skills.
Successful candidates will possess the skills to lead, delegate job assignments, tasks and equipment in day-to-day operations as necessary including the capability to work effectively and professionally with other employees, contractors, vendors and the public in a fast-paced environment. Will be able to work independently and within teams on project assignments and must provide office support as needed. Must be able to problem solve, and follow instructions, policies and procedures while recognizing and recommending changes to improve efficiency. Will be able to train employees to perform various tasks and in the proper and safe use of equipment.
While performing the essential functions of this job, the incumbent is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects; ascend and descend stairs, scaffolding and ramps; maintain body equilibrium to prevent falling when walking, standing, crouching, or running on narrow, slippery or erratically moving surfaces; move about on hands and knees; bend body downward and forward, requiring full use of the lower extremities and back muscles; reach with hands and arms; speak and hear; use color, odor, texture, shape and sound perception and discrimination; and push, pull and/or lift up to 10 pounds frequently and up to 20 pounds occasionally. Work is performed in a normal office environment and in the field exposing the employee to outside atmospheric conditions; conditions such as fumes, noxious odors, dusts, mists, gases and poor ventilation that affect the respiratory system, eyes or the skin; possibly bodily injury from moving mechanical parts of equipment, tools, or machinery, electrical shock, falling from high, exposed places, explosions and/or toxic or caustic chemicals.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:
Education and Experience:
- High school diploma or GED; and,
- Three to four years of progressively responsible related experience, or
- A combination of education, training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Licenses and Certifications:
- Valid Driver’s License with less than 8 points and
- OBBS Building Inspector Certification (BI)
- OBBS Electrical Safety Inspector (ESI) or OBBS Plumbing Inspector (PI) is preferred, but not required.
Normal working hours are between 7:30 A.M. – 4:30 P.M. Monday through Friday. Employee may be required to work overtime pursuant to the provisions of Article 5 and Article 15 of the current negotiated agreement. Applicants may be reassigned as required.
Interviews will be conducted on TBD.
Compensation and Benefits
Starting Salary = $57,273.55 plus Licensing bonus.
Benefits include health and prescription coverage, dental, vision, life and supplemental benefits are available.
How to Apply:
Interested applicants may apply online at www.onelakewood.com or should submit an application form (found on the website) to the City of Lakewood, Office of Human Resources, 12650 Detroit Avenue, Lakewood, OH 44107.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
The City of Lakewood is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
School Crossing Guard+-
The City of Lakewood is seeking applicants for the part-time (approximately 2 hours per day) position of School Crossing Guard. Applicants must be at least 18 years of age, have a high school diploma or GED and be able to satisfactorily complete a physical examination, including drug screening, and police background check. Salary $15.00 per hour.
Most Popular Pages
- E-File Your Taxes
- State of the City Address
- Coronavirus/COVID-19 Info
- COVID-19 Business Resources
- Small Business Relief Program
- Residental Rent Assistance
- E-Newsletter Sign-Up
- Birth/Death Certificates
- Cove Church Redevelopment
- Accountability & Sound Governance
- Food Trucks
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Public Record Requests
- Biking Lakewood
- Minutes / Agendas
- Clean Water Lakewood
- Pavilion Rentals
- Lead Safety
- Public Art
- Downtown Development