Lakewood is an equal opportunity employer. If you are interested in applying for one of the current job openings below, fill out an application online or complete this pdf and return it by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail it to Human Resources, City of Lakewood, 12650 Detroit Avenue, Lakewood, OH, 44107.
The Office of Human Resources provides high quality professional services in the areas of human resources management, recruitment, labor relations, employee training and development, benefits administration, regulatory compliance, performance management, Workers Compensation risk management and licensure oversight and regulatory compliance. All efforts undertaken by the Office of Human Resources will ensure that employees and citizens are treated with respect and dignity.
Still have questions? Email the HR department at email@example.com or call 216-529-6611.
Current Job Openings
Full-Time Building Inspector 1+-
CITY OF LAKEWOOD POSITION VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
FULL-TIME BUILDING INSPECTOR 1
HOUSING & BUILDING
The City of Lakewood is currently accepting applications for a full-time Building Inspector. Building Inspectors conduct inspections of new construction assuring compliance with approved plans and of existing structures to ensure compliance with local ordinances. They identify non-conformities and code violations; issue permits, certificates of occupancy, certificates of completion and certificates of code compliance utilizing their knowledge of building codes, review of construction plans and their experience in construction and/or renovation of commercial and/or residential units. Normal working hours are between 7:30 A.M. – 4:30 P.M. Monday through Friday.
- OBBS Electrical Safety Inspector (ESI) and one of the following:
- OBBS Building Inspector Certification (BI)*
- Residential Building Inspector (RBI)*
* Valid interim at time of hire may be considered. Full certification must be obtained within 12 months of appointment.
Qualified applicants will possess the knowledge, experience and ability to perform the following essential job functions:
- Ability to communicate effectively, interact with the general public to provide information and to problem solve and communicate orally with staff;
- Have knowledge of building codes, and experience in construction and/or renovation of commercial and/or residential units;
- Have the ability and knowledge to verify compliance of construction work with approved construction documents, investigate complaints and respond to requests related to building and property maintenance;
- Be able to effectively communicate non-conformities and code violations to property owners and contractors;
- Have the ability to maintain and submit all inspection records, issue correction notices and manage time effectively;
- Must have the ability to inspect fire damage;
- Possess the skill to read and interpret construction documents and maps;
- Be able to prepare clear and concise reports and correspondence utilizing information technology with Microsoft Office, mobile applications and proprietary software;
- Work independently in organizing work, setting priorities, meeting critical deadlines and follow up on assignments;
- Possess the ability to lead, direct, assign, delegate job assignments, work with and assign personnel to duties, tasks and equipment in day-to-day operations as necessary including the capability to work effectively and professionally with employees, contractors, vendors and the public.
- While performing the essential functions of this job, the incumbent is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects; ascend and descend stairs, scaffolding and ramps; maintain body equilibrium to prevent falling when walking, standing, crouching, or running on narrow, slippery or erratically moving surfaces; move about on hands and knees; bend body downward and forward, requiring full use of the lower extremities and back muscles; reach with hands and arms; speak and hear; use color, odor, texture, shape and sound perception and discrimination; and push, pull and/or lift up to 10 pounds frequently and up to 20 pounds occasionally.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:
Education and Experience:
- High school diploma or GED; and,
- Three to four years of progressively responsible related experience
- Any combination of education, training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Valid Driver’s License with less than 8 points.
- Licenses and Certifications as described above.
Compensation and Benefits
Starting Salary = $54,381.80 plus Licensing bonus.
Benefits include health and prescription coverage, dental, vision, life and supplemental benefits are available.
How to Apply:
Interested applicants may apply on line at www.onelakewood.com or should submit an application form (found on the website) to the City of Lakewood, Office of Human Resources, 12650 Detroit Avenue, Lakewood, OH 44107.
Application will be accepted until the position is filled.
The City of Lakewood is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Part-Time Tax Auditor+-
CITY OF LAKEWOOD
DEPARTMENT OF FINANCE, DIVISION OF INCOME TAX
PART-TIME TAX AUDITOR – up to 28 hours per week
The City of Lakewood is seeking a part-time Tax Auditor for our Department of Finance, Division of Income Tax. The successful candidate will have the ability to perform various tax functions, including calculating taxes, penalties and interest, determining tax liability, processing payments, interviewing taxpayers, examining tax returns and selecting proper remedies for payment. The position also requires the filing of returns, excellent customer service when answering taxpayers questions and resolving problems. Must be able to review audits and compliance procedures and assist in the preparation of court documents for the City Prosecutor in delinquent tax cases.
This position is also responsible for preparing complex, routine and non-routine reports as requested utilizing a variety of software, receives, sorts and summarizes material for the preparation of reports and prepares work reports.
Salary: $19.39 hour
- Qualified candidates will possess a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in a related field or Internal Revenue Service VITA/TCE Tax Preparation Certification; and
- 3 years of progressively responsible related experience; or any combination of education, training and experience, which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Applicable state, federal and local ordinances, codes, laws, rules and regulations and be able to interpret the same.
- Must have considerable knowledge of Individual, Corporate and Municipal tax preparation, economics and accounting principles and practices, financial markers, and the process of analyzing and reporting financial data.
- Must be skilled in using computer software and hardware.
How to Apply:
Internal applicants should submit an Interest in Position Form obtained from the Department of Human Resources.
Interested, qualified external applicants should submit an Application form on-line at www.onelakewood.net. Application deadline is Tuesday, October 1, 2019 at 4:00 p.m.
The City of Lakewood is an Equal Opportunity Employer
School Crossing Guard+-
The City of Lakewood is seeking applicants for the part-time (approximately 2 hours per day) position of School Crossing Guard. Applicants must be at least 18 years of age, have a high school diploma or GED and be able to satisfactorily complete a physical examination, including drug screening, and police background check. Salary $15.00 per hour.