Big and Bold – Lakewood Partners with Local Design Firm on Public Art Street Mural ProjectJuly 26, 2017
The City of Lakewood announces the Rosewood Street Mural design competition winner! Studio Chartreuse won with their bold design called “Graphic Positivity”. Charity D’Amato and her team stated, “We are thrilled to be selected to partner with the City on the new public arts initiative…Rosewood Ave Mural. As a Lakewood business for many years it is an honor to collaborate and get creative with community leaders and residents. Let the painting begin!” Look for painting of the mural to begin in August.
A big supporter of the arts initiative, Councilman Tom Bullock states, “This project is building off the Public Art Task force’s recommendations to Council last October. We see value in art’s ability to add vitality to spaces such as Wagar Park and enrich Lakewood’s quality of life.”
The Rosewood Avenue Street Art Pilot addresses several aspects of the Community Vision.
- Education and Culture: The painted street mural will be at a prominent intersection for visitors to see and may be creatively programmed.
- Safety: The street closure also solves a difficult intersection. This public art mural will be a temporary (1-3 years) component of Wagar Park to pilot the Rosewood Avenue street closure.
- Community Wellness: Active Living is encouraged by additional park space for bike riding, roller skating and play.
“The street mural gets people thinking of art in a new way, beyond a mural on a building or a sculpture in a park, says Beth Ryan, a member of Lakewood’s Public Art Task Force. “I think it was important to go big and bold with our first public art piece. I am very excited to see this project come to fruition.”
See the adopted long term master plan for Wagar Park here.
Most Popular Pages
- E-File Your Taxes
- State of the City Address
- Coronavirus/COVID-19 Info
- COVID-19 Business Resources
- Small Business Relief Program
- Residental Rent Assistance
- E-Newsletter Sign-Up
- Birth/Death Certificates
- Cove Church Redevelopment
- Biking Lakewood
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Public Record Requests
- Minutes / Agendas
- Food Trucks
- Clean Water Lakewood
- Pavilion Rentals
- Lead Safety
- Public Art
- Downtown Development
- Accountability & Sound Governance