Lakewood is an equal opportunity employer. Have a look at the current job openings; fill out an application; and return by email or deliver it to Human Resources, 12650 Detroit Avenue, Lakewood, OH, 44107.
If you’re applying for a patrol officer position, click here to download the application for examination.
The Office of Human Resources provides high quality professional services in the areas of human resources management, recruitment, labor relations, employee training and development, benefits administration, regulatory compliance, performance management, Workers Compensation risk management and licensure oversight and regulatory compliance. All efforts undertaken by the Office of Human Resources will ensure that employees and citizens are treated with respect and dignity.
Still have questions? Send the HR department an email, call 216-529-6611, or send a fax to 216-529-5669.
Current Job Openings
Sewer Maintenance Crew+-
SEWER MAINTENANCE CREW
WATER AND WASTEWATER COLLECTION
City of Lakewood is seeking qualified candidates for the position of Sewer Maintenance Crew in the Division of Water and Wastewater Collection with the Department of Public Works. Qualified candidates must have the ability to lift up to fifty (50) lbs. frequently throughout the workday; must have the ability to work from ladders, and below ground in deep excavations and under frequent physical demands (i.e., digging, bending, reaching, climbing, squatting, standing, extensive use of hands, arms and fingers); must have the ability to work in extreme weather conditions and may be exposed to chemicals, dust, heat, gas, fumes and pungent odors; must have the ability to stand and walk for long periods of time on wet, slippery and debris covered surfaces; must possess above average mechanical ability and have the ability to operate various water and sewer cleaning equipment (i.e., snakes, rodders, jet flushers, etc.) and perform minor maintenance on that equipment; must have the ability to use and operate various safety equipment on the job (i.e., gas detectors, etc.); must have the ability to enter various manholes and sewers during the course of duties; must have the ability to work in close quarters; must have the ability to maintain records; must possess knowledge of underground sewer and water systems; must have the ability to communicate clearly over the telephone and radio. Position will work on all water and sewer assignments as necessary. Overtime work will be necessary as emergency situations occur.
- Must possess high school diploma or GED equivalent.
- Good work and attendance record.
- Must possess a valid Class B Ohio Commercial Driver’s License with less than eight (8) points at time of APPLICATION. Must possess a tanker endorsement within fifty (50) days of appointment.
- May be required to participate in testing at the discretion of the City.
- Must satisfactorily complete a physical examination and police background investigation including drug screen.
- Must possess OR be able to obtain an EPA issued Class I Wastewater Collection System Operator’s License OR EPA issued Class I Water Distribution System Operator’s license within 24 months of appointment.
This is a union position and the employee may be required to work overtime pursuant to the provisions of Article 5 and Article 15 of the current negotiated agreement. Applicants may be reassigned as required.
Wage Rate: $22.88/hour start
Normal Work Hours: 7:30 A.M. – 4:00 P.M. (M-F)
ONLY QUALIFIED interested applicants should submit a resume AND an application on-line or to the City of Lakewood, Office of Human Resources, 12650 Detroit Avenue, Lakewood, OH 44107.
CITY OF LAKEWOOD POSITION VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT|
FULL-TIME BUILDING INSPECTOR 1 or 2
HOUSING & BUILDING
The City of Lakewood is currently accepting applications for a full-time Building Inspector 1or Building Inspector 2 position. Building Inspectors conduct inspections of new and existing structures ensuring code and ordinance compliance, identifying code violations, issuing permits and certificates of occupancy utilizing their knowledge of building codes, plans examination and experience in construction and/or renovation of commercial and/or residential units. Normal working hours are between 7:30 A.M. – 4:30 P.M. Monday through Friday.
Licensing requirements for Building Inspector 1:
- OBBS Building Inspector Certification (BI)*
- Residential Building Inspector (RBI)*
And one of the following
- Electrical Safety Inspector (ESI)*
- Plumbing Inspector (PI)*
* Valid interim at time of hire may be considered. Full certification must be obtained within 12 months of appointment.
Licensing Requirements for Building Inspector 2:
- OBBS Building Inspector Certification (BI)
And one of the following
- Electrical Safety Inspector (ESI)
- Plumbing Inspector (PI)
Qualified applicants will possess the knowledge, experience and ability to perform the following essential job functions:
- Ability to communicate effectively, interact with the public within the community to provide information and to problem solve and communicate orally with staff and the general public;
- Have knowledge of building code inspection, plans examination and experience in construction and/or renovation of commercial and/or residential units;
- The ability to conduct inspections of new and existing structures, including ensuring code and ordinance compliance, identifying code violations, issuing permits and certificates of occupancy;
- Be able to communicate construction techniques and procedures to property owners and contractors;
- Have the ability to maintain and submit all inspection records, issue violation letters and citations;
- Have the ability and knowledge to verify compliance of construction work with approved construction documents, investigate complaints and respond to requests related to building and property maintenance;
- Must have the ability to inspect fire damage;
- Possess the skill to read and interpret construction documents and maps;
- Be able to prepare clear and concise reports and correspondence utilizing information technology with Microsoft Office, mobile applications and proprietary software;
- Work independently in organizing work, setting priorities, meeting critical deadlines and follow up on assignments;
- Possess the ability to lead, direct, assign, delegate job assignments, work with and assign personnel to duties, tasks and equipment in day-to-day operations as necessary including the capability to work effectively and professionally with employees, contractors, vendors and the public.
- While performing the essential functions of this job, the incumbent is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects; ascend and descend stairs, scaffolding and ramps; maintain body equilibrium to prevent falling when walking, standing, crouching, or running on narrow, slippery or erratically moving surfaces; move about on hands and knees; bend body downward and forward, requiring full use of the lower extremities and back muscles; reach with hands and arms; speak and hear; use color, odor, texture, shape and sound perception and discrimination; and push, pull and/or lift up to 10 pounds frequently and up to 20 pounds occasionally.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:
Education and Experience:
- High school diploma or GED; and,
- Building Inspector 1:Three to four years of progressively responsible related experience
- Building inspector 2: Three to four years of progressively responsible related experience with 2 years of experience as Building Inspector 1 or Equivalent or
- Any combination of education, training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Valid Driver’s License with less than 8 points.
- Licenses and Certifications as described above.
How to Apply:
Interested applicants may apply on line at www.onelakewood.com or should submit an application form (found on the website) to the City of Lakewood, Office of Human Resources, 12650 Detroit Avenue, Lakewood, OH 44107.
Application will be accepted until the position is filled.
School Crossing Guard+-
The City of Lakewood is seeking applicants for the part-time (approximately 2 hours per day) position of School Crossing Guard. Applicants must be at least 18 years of age, have a high school diploma or GED and be able to satisfactorily complete a physical examination, including drug screening, and police background check. Salary $12.29 per hour.