Lakewood is an equal opportunity employer. Have a look at the current job openings; fill out an application; and return by email or deliver it to Human Resources, 12650 Detroit Avenue, Lakewood, OH, 44107.
If you’re applying for a patrol officer position, click here to download the application for examination.
The Office of Human Resources provides high quality professional services in the areas of human resources management, recruitment, labor relations, employee training and development, benefits administration, regulatory compliance, performance management, Workers Compensation risk management and licensure oversight and regulatory compliance. All efforts undertaken by the Office of Human Resources will ensure that employees and citizens are treated with respect and dignity.
Still have questions? Send the HR department an email, call 216-529-6611, or send a fax to 216-529-5669.
Current Job Openings
Entry Level Patrol Officer Exam+-
The Lakewood Civil Service Commission will be conducting an examination for Entry Level Patrol Officer on Tuesday, January 24, 2017 at 6:15 p.m. at Garfield Middle School, 13114 Detroit Ave. (Cafeteria), Lakewood, Ohio.
The first 150 properly completed and legible applications for examination will be accepted. Applications will be available starting Saturday, December 3, 2016 on the city website by clicking here. Application should be printed, filled out completely and returned beginning Monday December 5, 2016 with all required attachments to the Department of Law, Office of Civil Service at Lakewood City Hall. The deadline to apply is Monday, December 19, 2016.
Applicant must attach proof of High School Diploma or GED and a copy of applicant’s valid driver’s license. To be placed on the eligible list, candidates must score 70 or higher on the written exam and possess a Certificate from Cuyahoga Community College (CCC) certifying the applicant has passed the Physical Agility Test dated no earlier than January 24, 2016. Application fee of $30.00 is due with the application payable in cash, money order or cashier’s check only- NO personal checks will be accepted. See complete exam announcement by clicking here for extra credit and required attachments.
For those who do not possess a current certificate of physical agility from Cuyahoga Community College, you may contact the college at 216-987-3033 to sign up for the December 11, 2016 or January 22, 2017 testing dates. Deadline to turn in a current Physical Agility Certificate is Monday, January 23, 2017 at 4:30 p.m.
Salary: $55,125.51 current annual salary plus benefits.
For further information please see the the complete exam announcement by clicking here.
The City of Lakewood is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
CITY OF LAKEWOOD POSITION VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT|
FULL-TIME BUILDING INSPECTOR 1 or 2
HOUSING & BUILDING
The City of Lakewood is currently accepting applications for a full-time Building Inspector 1or Building Inspector 2 position. Building Inspectors conduct inspections of new and existing structures ensuring code and ordinance compliance, identifying code violations, issuing permits and certificates of occupancy utilizing their knowledge of building codes, plans examination and experience in construction and/or renovation of commercial and/or residential units. Normal working hours are between 7:30 A.M. – 4:30 P.M. Monday through Friday.
Licensing requirements for Building Inspector 1:
- OBBS Building Inspector Certification (BI)*
- Residential Building Inspector (RBI)*
And one of the following
- Electrical Safety Inspector (ESI)*
- Plumbing Inspector (PI)*
* Valid interim at time of hire may be considered. Full certification must be obtained within 12 months of appointment.
Licensing Requirements for Building Inspector 2:
- OBBS Building Inspector Certification (BI)
And one of the following
- Electrical Safety Inspector (ESI)
- Plumbing Inspector (PI)
Qualified applicants will possess the knowledge, experience and ability to perform the following essential job functions:
- Ability to communicate effectively, interact with the public within the community to provide information and to problem solve and communicate orally with staff and the general public;
- Have knowledge of building code inspection, plans examination and experience in construction and/or renovation of commercial and/or residential units;
- The ability to conduct inspections of new and existing structures, including ensuring code and ordinance compliance, identifying code violations, issuing permits and certificates of occupancy;
- Be able to communicate construction techniques and procedures to property owners and contractors;
- Have the ability to maintain and submit all inspection records, issue violation letters and citations;
- Have the ability and knowledge to verify compliance of construction work with approved construction documents, investigate complaints and respond to requests related to building and property maintenance;
- Must have the ability to inspect fire damage;
- Possess the skill to read and interpret construction documents and maps;
- Be able to prepare clear and concise reports and correspondence utilizing information technology with Microsoft Office, mobile applications and proprietary software;
- Work independently in organizing work, setting priorities, meeting critical deadlines and follow up on assignments;
- Possess the ability to lead, direct, assign, delegate job assignments, work with and assign personnel to duties, tasks and equipment in day-to-day operations as necessary including the capability to work effectively and professionally with employees, contractors, vendors and the public.
- While performing the essential functions of this job, the incumbent is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects; ascend and descend stairs, scaffolding and ramps; maintain body equilibrium to prevent falling when walking, standing, crouching, or running on narrow, slippery or erratically moving surfaces; move about on hands and knees; bend body downward and forward, requiring full use of the lower extremities and back muscles; reach with hands and arms; speak and hear; use color, odor, texture, shape and sound perception and discrimination; and push, pull and/or lift up to 10 pounds frequently and up to 20 pounds occasionally.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:
Education and Experience:
- High school diploma or GED; and,
- Building Inspector 1:Three to four years of progressively responsible related experience
- Building inspector 2: Three to four years of progressively responsible related experience with 2 years of experience as Building Inspector 1 or Equivalent or
- Any combination of education, training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Valid Driver’s License with less than 8 points.
- Licenses and Certifications as described above.
How to Apply:
Interested applicants may apply on line at www.onelakewood.com or should submit an application form (found on the website) to the City of Lakewood, Office of Human Resources, 12650 Detroit Avenue, Lakewood, OH 44107.
Application will be accepted until the position is filled.
School Crossing Guard+-
The City of Lakewood is seeking applicants for the part-time (approximately 2 hours per day) position of School Crossing Guard. Applicants must be at least 18 years of age, have a high school diploma or GED and be able to satisfactorily complete a physical examination, including drug screening, and police background check. Salary $12.29 per hour.