Urban Planning Internship
Urban Planning Internship
City of Lakewood
The Department of Planning & Development
The Department coordinates long-range planning, zoning, and economic development for the city as well as administers the federal Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) and HOME funds awarded to Lakewood by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. The Department works directly with the Lakewood Planning Commission, Board of Zoning Appeals, Board of Building Standards/Architectural Board of Review/Sign Review Board, Lakewood Heritage Advisory Board, Loan Approval Board, and the Citizens Advisory Committee.
The City of Lakewood is seeking an Intern to work directly with planning department staff to gain hands-on practical experience working on residential, commercial and planning projects within the City. It is our objective to provide the intern with a multi-disciplinary experience using the latest technology to support his or her work. The intern will spend their time working individually and collaboratively to complete assigned projects within a given timeline. This is a paid internship and a 30 hour work week is preferred.
The Department of Planning and Development works on a variety of projects involving residential and commercial development, affordable housing, and varied planning functions including Resiliency, Zoning, and public infrastructure master planning. The intern will gain experience in several areas with a focus on: affordable housing programs, implementing federal funded programs including CARES Act/COVID-19 relief efforts, development of design guidelines, supporting the work of our Boards and Commissions, and zoning analysis. Some flexibility to attend evening meetings with the community would be desired.
- Candidate must be currently enrolled in at least their junior year within an Urban Planning or similar curriculum. Master’s degree students are preferred.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Powerpoint, and Excel are required); Microsoft Teams, Adobe Suite (InDesign), and GoToMeeting experience preferred
- Strong analytical, conceptual, communication and organizational skills.
- Interest and/or coursework in Community and Neighborhood Development
- Desire to learn about city functions.
- Previous related internship experience preferred.
- Ability to effectively interface with all levels of personnel and management.
- Ability to work and thrive in a team environment.
- Strong problem solving skills.
- Ability to self-motivate and work productively without supervision.
- Experience communicating using graphics.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills. Must be able to talk with business owners, and represent the City in the community.
- Willingness to learn and adapt quickly to city practices and regulations related to affordable housing, planning, and public policy is very helpful.
- Access to transportation to travel throughout the community in support of projects
To apply please provide a cover letter, resume, and a completed application form. Please include with your application at least three (3) examples of project reports or presentations in PDF format – providing one for each of the following topics: housing, economic development, and planning.
Qualified interested applicants should submit an application form (found on www.onelakewood.com) to the City of Lakewood, Office of Human Resources, 12650 Detroit Avenue, Lakewood, OH 44107. Application deadline is 8 July at 4:00pm.
The City of Lakewood is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Posting date: 24 June 2020
Most Popular Pages
- Coronavirus/COVID-19 Information
- COVID-19 Business Resources
- Tax Information
- Frequently Asked Questions
- New Hands Free Driving Law
- Cove Church Redevelopment
- Public Record Requests
- Minutes / Agendas
- Census 2020
- Food Trucks
- Clean Water Lakewood
- Pavilion Rentals
- Lead Safety
- Downtown Development
- Public Art
- Accountability & Sound Governance