City of Lakewood
Civil Service Job Opportunity
The city of Lakewood is currently taking applications for the position of Urban Designer. The successful incumbent will serve as a lead urban designer working on a wide variety of design projects focused on shaping the physical setting for life in the city. The position involves planning designing and collaborating on projects at a wide range of scales. Examples of functions include: provide design support on a wide range of project types; collaborate with planners, architects, business owners, boards and commissions on projects being proposed; planning, designing and implementing exciting and unique pedestrian experiences, complete street, streetscape and transportation projects as well as vibrant parks and public space projects; create integrated, sustainable and memorable solutions to complex design and planning problems; integrate physical, social, economic, and regulatory factors into smart design; effectively communicate relevant issues and solutions through urban design. Works closely with Building Department team to implement strategies and designs for the second century of building and housing stock within the city. Pay grade 33: $51,669 – $72,874.
The ideal candidate will possess:
- proven organizational leadership which includes improving performance, using technology, adaptable, strategic focus and delivers results;
- a strong interest in structures and their role in urban design, performance and behavior;
- the skills to help shape the second century of Lakewood structures through organizing and directing resources while serving as a responsible steward of those resources;
- the ability to create strategies to ensure technical expertise, near and long term;
- excellent customer service standards to serve all customers; and
- the will to drive continuous improvement by establishing a culture of great tools, methods and processes used well by all.
Education and Experience:
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year college or university in Urban Design, Architecture, Landscape Architecture, Urban Planning, or related field; and,
Master’s degree preferred.
Three to five years of progressively responsible related experience; or,
Any combination of education, training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Licenses and Certifications:
Professional Landscape Architecture (PLA) (desirable) or
American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) (desirable), or
Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Associate (desirable) or
Comparable professional licensure
How to Apply:
Candidates should complete an application at www.onelakewood.com and attach a resume. Application deadline is Friday, November 2, 2018 at 4:00pm.
EOE Posted: 10-11-2018
Most Popular Pages
- Lake Avenue Construction
- Pavilion Rentals
- New Dog Ordinance
- Downtown Development
- Healthcare in Lakewood
- Lakewood Art Mural Program
- 2018-19 Construction Projects
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Facing Addiction
- Mayor's Letter on Clean Water Lakewood: Road Ahead
- Accountability & Sound Governance