Urban Planning Internship
Urban Planning Internship
City of Lakewood
The Department of Planning & Development
The Department coordinates long-range planning, zoning, and economic development for the City as well as administers the federal Community Development Block Grant Funds awarded to Lakewood by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. The Department works directly with the Lakewood Planning Commission, the Board of Zoning Appeals, the Board of Building Standards/Architectural Board of Review and Sign Review Board, the Lakewood Heritage Advisory Board, and the Citizens Advisory Committee.
The City of Lakewood is seeking an intern to work directly with planning staff to gain hands-on practical experience working on planning and design related projects in the City. It is our objective to provide an intern with portfolio caliber projects using the latest technology to support his or her project. The intern will spend their time working individually and collaboratively to complete assigned projects by a given timeline. This is a paid internship and a 40 hour work week is preferred.
The Department of Planning and Development works on a variety of projects involving residential and commercial development, bike planning and infrastructure, public art, park master plans, and streetscape improvements. The intern will get experience in several areas including: the boards & commissions, bike planning & infrastructure, and public art. Some flexibility to attend evening meetings with the community would be required.
- Candidate must be currently enrolled in at least their junior year within an Urban Planning, or similar curriculum. Master’s degree students are preferred.
- Working knowledge of Word and Excel is required
- Must have experience completing projects in ArcGIS or a similar spatial mapping platform.
- Desire to learn about city functions.
- Previous related internship experience preferred.
- Strong analytical, conceptual, communication and organizational skills.
- Ability to effectively interface with all levels of personnel and management.
- Ability to work and thrive in a team environment.
- Strong problem solving skills.
- Ability to self-motivate and work productively without supervision.
- Experience communicating using graphics.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills. Must be able to talk with business owners, and represent the City in the community.
- Willingness to learn and adapt quickly to city practices and regulations related to planning, public policy and zoning is very helpful.
Desired Program Experience:
ArcGIS (Map and Online), ArcGIS Collector, Microsoft Products, Adobe Creative Suite
To apply please provide a cover letter, resume and a completed application form. Please include in your application at least three (3) digital examples of project presentations and/or mapping in PDF format.
Qualified interested applicants should submit an application form (found on www.onelakewood.com) to the City of Lakewood, Office of Human Resources, 12650 Detroit Avenue, Lakewood, OH 44107. Application deadline is July 27, 2018 at 4:00pm.
The City of Lakewood is an Equal Opportunity Employer