This Curtis Block is in the heart of Downtown Lakewood, a thriving commercial district supported by a mix of development that meets community employment, entertainment, shopping, and service needs. The property is immediately adjacent to a 6 acre redevelopment site, and is within 500 feet of the proposed $32 million dollar Cleveland Clinic Family Health Center.
The Curtis Block is located in a C-2 district at 14501 Detroit Avenue in Lakewood, Ohio. The building is on the southwest corner of Detroit Avenue, with pedestrian access via Detroit and Marlowe. Immediately to the south is a 1600 square foot single story retail building that faces east at 1415 Marlowe. The west side of the property is bordered by a 6 acre redevelopment site owned by the City of Lakewood.
The Curtis Block has been designated a historic structure. Additionally, it sits on a diamond-shaped intersection, one of the only remaining intersections of Detroit Avenue with all four corners still held by the original streetcar era buildings.
14501 Detroit Ave, the Curtis Block
- Built 1925
- 2 story building
- Each floor is approximately 9,000 square feet
- Full basement
- Exterior brick and sandstone
- 5 storefronts on ground level
- Driveway provides limited on-site parking
1415 Marlowe Avenue storefront
- Owned by the city, and will likely be demolished, but can be considered as part of the rehabilitation and adaptive reuse of the Curtis Block
- Single story retail building is approximately 2,860 square feet
- No basement
- Shared driveway with Curtis Block