Lakewood Police Department
FULL-TIME UNION POSITION
The City of Lakewood is currently accepting applications for the position of Dispatcher. This position primarily answers 911/Police and Fire emergency calls and dispatches Police, Fire and EMS on details taken by phone or radio transmission in order of priority with appropriate codes. Hourly rate is $20.64 (includes Start + Leads + EMD)
Qualified applicants will possess the knowledge, experience and ability to perform the following essential job functions:
- Answers 911/Police and Fire emergency calls as well as non-emergency and TDD calls.
- Monitors radio traffic for police, fire, public works, and EMS, and updates status and location of all police, fire and EMS units.
- The ability to multitask: speaking on the telephone, entering information into a computer, and broadcasting and listening to police, fire and EMS radios.
- Dispatches Police, Fire and EMS on details taken by phone or radio transmission in order of priority with appropriate codes.
- Performs computer functions, such as: CAD, REDSS entries, LEADS, NCIC, ORION, etc.
- Monitors and performs jail duties which include assisting with the supervision of female prisoners in the Lakewood City Jail.
- Operates and maintains dispatching system and back-up systems.
- Monitors alarm systems, video surveillance monitors, audio communication system for the jail, Police/City Hall and parks.
- Performs other clerical and administrative tasks as directed.
- Must possess a high school diploma or GED Equivalent
- Must be able to maintain composure under extremely stressful circumstances.
- Must be able to handle self in a very tough environment.
- Must have computer skills to include: Microsoft Office and data entry in dialog boxes.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain LEADS (computer program) certification and CPR certificate.
- Must have the ability to speak clearly, calmly and reassuringly.
- Knowledge of geography of the City of Lakewood is preferred
- Experience in emergency service dispatch center is STRONGLY preferred.
This position requires flexibility of scheduling. The selected candidate may work swing shift 7:00pm – 3:30am and nights or afternoons. Must be available Monday – Sunday.
The hiring process includes a polygraph exam, a background check, drug screening, psychological examination and a physical agility examination.
Interested applicants should submit a current resume and an application form on-line at www.onelakewood.com or obtain an application from the Department of Human Resources and return to the City of Lakewood, Office of Human Resources, 12650 Detroit Avenue, Lakewood, OH 44107.
Application deadline is Friday, October 30, 2020 at 4:00pm.
The City of Lakewood is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Internal/External Posting 10/14/2020
Most Popular Pages
- Coronavirus/COVID-19 Info
- COVID-19 Business Resources
- Small Business Relief Program
- Cove Church Redevelopment
- Residental Rent Assistance
- Biking Lakewood
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Public Record Requests
- Minutes / Agendas
- Census 2020
- Food Trucks
- Clean Water Lakewood
- Pavilion Rentals
- Lead Safety
- Public Art
- Accountability & Sound Governance