How to Ensure Water Quality
There are daily actions that all customers should take to ensure the highest quality of water is coming out of your tap, especially if there is the possibility of lead in your plumbing system and after a disruption of service.
The City of Cleveland recommends residents remember the following for water safety: Flush. Clean. Consume Cold.
As a standard practice the USEPA recommends the following actions to reduce possible lead exposure in drinking water. In some situations, a water system repair/replacement may temporarily increase lead levels in water and/or cause discoloration.
Steps You Can Take to Reduce Lead in Drinking Water
- FLUSH-Before drinking, flush your home’s pipes by running the tap for 30 seconds to 3 minutes, taking a shower, doing laundry, or doing a load of dishes.
- CLEAN: Regularly clean your faucet’s screen (also known as an aerator). Click here to learn how to clean aerators.
- CONSUME COLD: Use only cold water for drinking, cooking and making baby formula. Remember, boiling water does not remove lead from water.
- If you use a filter certified to remove lead, don’t forget to read the directions to learn when to change the cartridge. Using a filter after it has expired can make it less effective at removing lead.
- Replace pre-2014 faucets and fixtures. Older faucets may contain higher levels of lead. Faucets manufactured and sold in the U.S. after 2014 are considered “lead-free” and must contain less than 0.25% lead in areas that come into contact with water.
- Customers can also choose to have their water tested at their cost at a certified laboratory. Click here for the Ohio EPA a list of certified laboratories that can test for lead.
- HELP WANTED: Lakewood City Council seeks applicants for Boards & Commissions November 07, 2019
- The City of Lakewood is Seeking Design-Build Services for Adaptive Redevelopment of Cove Church as Intergenerational Community Center November 06, 2019
- Lakewood to Honor Veterans on November 11th at Lakewood Park November 05, 2019
Most Popular Pages
- Leaf Collection
- 2019 Construction Projects
- Cove Church Redevelopment
- Accountability & Sound Governance
- Live Well Lakewood
- Food Trucks
- Clean Water Lakewood
- Lake Avenue Construction
- Pavilion Rentals
- Lead Safety
- Downtown Development
- Healthcare in Lakewood
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Animals In Lakewood
- Public Art