The City of Lakewood is currently interviewing for a full-time Fleet Mechanic in the Division of Fleet Management. The wage range for this position is $26.42 – $27.80/hour. Normal work hours are 6:30am – 3:00pm; shift hours will vary by season and need per the negotiated contract
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Must have the ability to lift and/or pull 50 to 150 lbs. with or without mechanical or other assistance frequently throughout the work day; must have the ability to climb in and out of vehicles or equipment, and work from ladders and platforms; must be able to perform physical demands (i.e., bending, reaching, climbing, squatting, standing and extensive use of hands, arms, fingers, and legs); must be able to work in all weather conditions; must be able to work around chemicals, dust, heat, fumes and pungent odors, using prescribed safety equipment and procedures. Must be knowledgeable and able to perform all maintenance aspects of vehicles, equipment, machinery and specialty items of motor vehicle fleet to the Department’s established standards; must be able to evaluate damage to determine necessary repair or replacement of parts on automotive, trucks and various equipment of all Departments of the City of Lakewood, including but not limited to salt trucks, dump trucks, plows, front-end loaders, back-hoes, sweepers, Vac-All and refuse vehicles; must be able to use all other mechanical equipment; must possess an advanced working knowledge of hydraulics and small engines, air brakes, pneumatics, 12-volt and 24-volt electrical systems for diesel and gas powered engines; must be able to read and understand electrical schematics and diagnostics trees; must be talented in the use of testing equipment, OTC diagnostics and software; must having working knowledge of all automatic transmissions and repair of manual transmissions; must have expertise, capacity and extensive field experience to make repairs on all types of City vehicles and equipment; must have the aptitude to diagnose and correct problems; must have preventative maintenance experience and ability to maintain a regular PM service maintenance for all equipment; must be able to work as a team employee among the work group; must have the ability to maintain records, open work orders and use lap top and desk station computers; Must be able to use software programs to perform diagnostics and repairs; must have the knowledge of safe work practice and best service repair practices in Fleet industry; must be able to prioritize and complete vehicle repairs in a controlled cost environment and work within established standards; must be able to follow repairs from any working shift or mechanic; must have the ability to communicate clearly over the telephone and radio.
- Minimum of five (5) years documented field experience in equipment maintenance as a Mechanic, preferably in a Fleet Department or successful completion of Mechanic training from an accredited technical institute /college.
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent.
- Must possess a valid Ohio Class A Commercial Driver License with less than eight (8) points.
- Must possess tanker and passenger endorsements within 50 days of appointment.
- Must possess certification for Heating and Air Conditioning recirculation, recycling and recovery as required by Section 609 of the amended Clean Air Act and filed with the EPA.
- Must possess a minimum of four (4) ASE certifications within three (3) years of hire* (Master level preferred).
- Will be able to successfully interview for the position, which includes correctly answering at least 21 of 30 technical and/or hands on demonstration questions. (20 technical questions and 10 hands-on demonstrations.)
- Must satisfactorily complete a physical examination, drug screen and police background investigation.
* If an employee hired under this posting fails to maintain or obtain the required 4 ASE certification minimums after 3 years of hire they may bid on and transfer into another vacant posted position following the contract language for promotions and job changes or the employee may be terminated. Each situation will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
Interested applicants may apply on line at www.onelakewood.com or should submit an application form (found on the website) to the City of Lakewood, Office of Human Resources, 12650 Detroit Avenue, Lakewood, OH 44107.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
The City of Lakewood is an Equal Opportunity Employer
External Posting 10-25-2019
Most Popular Pages
- Snow Reminders
- Leaf Collection
- Cove Church Redevelopment
- Accountability & Sound Governance
- Live Well Lakewood
- Food Trucks
- Clean Water Lakewood
- Lake Avenue Construction
- Pavilion Rentals
- Lead Safety
- Downtown Development
- Healthcare in Lakewood
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Animals In Lakewood
- Public Art