History of the Mayor's Office

According to local historian Margaret Manor Butler in her book, History of the City of Lakewood, what is now known as "Lakewood" roughly conforms to what was once known as Rockport Township, later organized into the Hamlet of Lakewood so that its citizens, "might make improvements and provide conveniences for all its citizens through the wishes of the majority." The citizens' request to incorporate and a charter were granted on August 31, 1889, and Mayor Ira E. Canfield held the title of Mayor from 1889 until 1891. His official title was president of the board of trustees and chief executive officer of the hamlet, in which capacity he served for three years.

PRESIDENT OF THE BOARD OF TRUSTEES (MAYOR), HAMLET OF LAKEWOOD:
  • IRA E. CANFIELD 1889-1891
  • CLAYTON L. TYLER 1892-1897
  • OTTO C. BERCHTOLD 1898-1899
  • JACAB H. TEGARDINE 1900-1901

Under the control and supervision of hamlet officials, Mayor Clayton Tyler directed the installation of major improvements, including a water system, sewers and electric lights. During Mayor Tyler's six years in office - 1892 through 1897 -- he also established Lakewood's boulevard system. On May 4, 1903, the Hamlet of Lakewood was organized into a village, boasting about 2,500 inhabitants. Mayor Joseph J. Rowe bridged the transition, serving as Mayor from 1902 until 1905

OFFICE OF MAYOR, VILLAGE OF LAKEWOOD:
  • JOSEPH J. ROWE 1902-1905
  • BERNARD MILLER 1906-1909

The Village of Lakewood grew to a citizenship of about 12,000 by Jan. 1, 1910, when it was organized into the City of Lakewood. The incorporation date was February 17, 1911. The first Mayor of the City of Lakewood was Nelson C. Cotabish, a large property holder in Lakewood and head of the sales department of the National Carbon Company. In 1910, Mayor Cotabish approved the acquisition of the first motor-driven fire equipment in northeast Ohio. An astute businessman, he also arranged for the City to buy a home at Warren Road and Detroit Avenue to serve as City Hall, selling 100 feet of this site a few years later for a profit of $40,500, almost three times the total purchase price of the property.

OFFICE OF MAYOR, CITY OF LAKEWOOD:
  • NELSON C. COTABISH 1910-1911
  • JOHN B. COFFINBERRY 1912-1913
  • CLAYTON W. TYLER 1914-1917
  • BYRON M. COOK 1918-1919
  • LOUIS E. HILL 1920-1923
  • EDWARD A. WIEGAND 1924-1932
  • AMOS I. KAUFFMAN 1932-1955
  • FRANK P. CELESTE 1956-1963
  • ROBERT M. LAWTHER 1964-1976
  • WILLIAM E. BLACKIE 1977
  • ANTHONY C. SINAGRA 1978-1990
  • DAVID R. HARBARGER 1990-1995
  • MADELINE A. CAIN 1996-2003
  • THOMAS J. GEORGE 2004-2007
  • EDWARD FITZGERALD 2008-2010
  • MICHAEL P. SUMMERS 2011-