Department of Human Services
Lakewood Commission on Aging
The Mission Statement of The Lakewood Commission of Aging is to "support programs and activities that enhance the lives of older adults by enabling them to live productively and with dignity in our community.
Established in 1978, the purposes for which the Lakewood Commission on Aging Advisory Committee was formed are:
- To provide a medium of expression for the needs of residents who are over sixty (60) years of age.
- To act and serve as the liaison to the Lakewood Department of Human Services, Division of Aging and The Lakewood Foundation.
- To serve as a coordinating body for older adult groups and to promote older adult group activities.
- To serve as an advocate for the interests of older adults and their general welfare.
- To suggest, plan, develop and evaluate programs and services for older residents of Lakewood.
The membership of the Lakewood Commission on Aging shall not exceed 20 people and 51% of the membership must be sixty (60) years of age or older. Officers include President, Vice-President, Secretary and Representative to The Lakewood Foundation. The Lakewood Commission on Aging meets regularly on the second Tuesday of each month at 3:00 pm at Kathleen & Robert Lawther Center, 16024 Madison Avenue, Lakewood, OH 44107.
Lakewood Family Room Parent Council
Lakewood Family Room Parent Council is a volunteer group of citizens whose purpose is to help facilitate awareness of the value of family support programs and principles and expand the quality and variety of services available to Lakewood children and their parents, thereby enhancing the quality of life in our neighborhoods and community.
The Parent Council membership consists of representatives from all drop-in and discussion groups, along with community agency representatives, never to exceed twenty individuals. Meetings are typically the fourth Wednesday of the month from 6:30-8:30pm at the Lakewood Family Room.
The Lakewood Collaborative
The Lakewood Family Collaborative was established in 2007. The Collaborative is a group of agencies, organizations and concerned individuals working together to make sure a network of services and supports are available and accessible to children youth and families in our community. It is family centered, community based and builds on family and community strengths. The Collaborative responds to needs and promotes the growth and development of all family members while at the same time strengthening the fabric of our community.
The Objectives of the Collaborative are:
- Assist in the identification of community issues and needs as they relate to youth/families
- Advocacy for youth/family/community
- Consultation and support to strengthen and expand community networking/partnerships
The Lakewood Family Collaborative
meets on the 4th Thursday of the month at The Lakewood YMCA, 16915 Detroit Ave. Lakewood Ohio 1:00 p.m. to 2:30 p.m.
ALL ARE WELCOME!